Last night I redeveloped the index page for a commercial site in as an
exercise to illustrate the benefits of standards-compliant tableless design.

Some interesting figures:

                        Before  After
HTML weight:    22Kb            12Kb
CSS weight:              9Kb             3Kb*

*About 1Kb redundant and stripped as it supported other pages.

Take a look at the original complex markup for http://www.thameslink.co.uk/
and the simplicity of a well-structured container document:
http://www.visidigm.com/dev/thameslink/

Much easier to understand and, as necessary, modify from a developer
perspective. This is where we can help one another as developers by writing
markup whose legacy is much easier to hand on.

(I realise some of the unordered lists could be converted to definition
lists but I really couldn't be bothered. It's the principle of sound
standards-based design I'm trying to illustrate.)

Incidentally, I was IT manager for these guys in the early '90s. Got to play
with trackside transponders and identify the Wrong Type of Snow and Wet
Leaves and manipulate and regurgitate daily 1.5M locomotion data sets. Ah,
those were the days :o)

Cheers,

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer
Internet SEO and Marketing Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.visidigm.com

Administrator
Guild of Accessible Web Designers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.gawds.org

solely for the use of the individual or body to whom they are addressed.
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by Norton
AntiVirus for the presence of computer viruses. If this message is received
in error, please accept our apologies.