Take a look at sIFR

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/08/sifr

or look a flash satay:

http://allinthehead.com/retro/234/embedding-macromedia-flash-in-xhtml

Terrence Wood.

Ted Drake wrote:

Our marketing department sent me a postcard with fancy fonts and wanted to put
the entire image in one of the web pages, after shaking and breaking into a
cold sweat, I remembered there was a technique to replace text dynamically
with flash. I thought this would be better than throwing up ... a large image
into the page.  It was featured on the ESPN site.

I could only find a reference to the php version on alistapart. Does anyone
know where I could find this? Has anyone had any experience using it?  Any
feedback or suggestions?