See, I'd say a table or a definition list.  I think I'm one of the
very few people who actually supports the loss of the start=""
attribute.

An ordered list means there is an order, *not* that there is anything
particular assocated with that order.  So, think about it in terms of
set theory, if you will.  An unordered list is like a set: {1, 2, 3}
which is the same as {3, 1, 2}.  An ordered list, like an ordered set
- (1,2,3) which is distinct from (3, 1, 2).  But a definition list is
like a mapping:
{ (1, 1), (2, 5), (3, 6) } which, in set theory, is just a subset of
{1, 2, 3} x {1, 5, 6}.

Apologies to those amongst you who don't "do" set theory.  It'd be
better with diagrams.  But the point is that if you want a starting
attribute in an ordered list you're actually setting up an assocation
between the number and the content of the list item.  So you need a
definition list.  Because an ordered list is just a way of defining a
relationship between the parts of the ordered list, not between the
parts of the ordered list and something outside.

So, i'd go with <dl>.  My two cents.

Regards,

mjec

--