Alan Trick wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on redesigning a company website to make it more accessable
> and I've done a pretty decent job with makeing everything scale with the
> font sizes, but I have one big problem.  Our company is developing a
> particular font that we want to use for our company name, a font that
> will be used on all our products.  So, either I put the text in an image
> (which is making me cringe already), or I find some way to enable our
> visitors to download the fonts automatically.  I did a little searching
> around and I found that there is a way to do that for certain versions
> of IE, but I was wondering if there was a way that works that I could do
> this that would work on all browsers, or at least NN>4, IE>=5, FF, Moz,
> Safari, & Opera.  Has the W3C created and standards to allow this to work?

Alan,

Here are my suggestions for cross-browser font embedding:

sIFR
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2004/12/sifr-2.0-release-candidate-3

or:

sIIR
http://axisfive.net/aboutsiir/

I experimented with the MS WEFT tool on some design layouts before
finding I can deliver standards compliant font embedding with sIFR. sIIR
may be better suited for your company font as sIFR depreciates back to
CSS font calls when either Javascript or Flash isn't enabled.

Lawrence Meckan

Absalom Media
http://www.absalom.biz