Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Menzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Explan to me why GMail has to make it's product accessible to everyone?

To continue evolving into a society that treats everybody equally, there is
no reason why companies should not TRY to make their websites as accessible
as possible, considering the little amount of effort required. I can
understand if companies do not fulfil all the different priorities, but we
can at least try, hey?

And quoting the laws about discrimination wont cut it. They have the
right to shoot themselves in the foot and lose all the users who can't
access their FREE site because of all the other alternatives.

I don't even have to quote legal issues - it's a matter of moral.

It's not a legal issue or a moral issue.

If it was, then the insurance companies that ONLY insure over 50's drivers would HAVE to be ACCESSIBLE to everyone.
They aren't. Good on-em. Freedom and diversity.

If there are alternatives that are accessible, then it's a business decision. If as Gary pointed out, they have a monopoly, that disadvantages people, that then becomes a issue. But Gmail isn't in that ball park.

Ben.

PS Personally, I think it would a wise and smart move on google's part to make it accessible, but I don't feel that they HAVE TO.

--
Ben Hamilton
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/