A project I am working on requires the use of a
menuing system (as in, it isn't my choice). In an
effort to achieve similar rendering across browsers I
added a Transitional DocType to all of the pages on
the site. This made things MUCH easier for me to work
with, but it also broke the menu appearance and
behavior. We sent an e-mail to the makers of this menu
software and received this very puzzling response:

------------------------------------
The issue at hand is that [productname] is completely
compliant, but is more modern than HTML 4.01.  If you
remove the doctype tag, all your rendering issues
should be resolved. Using one of our older and
backwards compatible menu packages might be the only
solution if you must have the doctype tag. However the
doctype tag is really a formality used for checking
compliancy and nothing more. Removing the tag will
solve your rendering problems.
------------------------------------

I was not aware that a DTD was a mere formality. In my
experience, operating without a DTD puts most browsers
into Quirks mode which, by its very definition, isn't
a standards compliant rendering mode.

Basically, my purpose for sending this is to acquire
more understanding of the purpose of the DTD. Is it
there to set the rendering mode, or is it, as this
support person purports, simply a formality?

Thanks,

-Sam