----- Original Message -----
From: "Ricci Angela" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: [WSG] Orange and Blue

>What I have heard, there was some research and it turned out that blue
>and orange are best for branding. Blue has something to do with an
>image of serious, stable and respectful corporation, orange is for
>vitality and innovation.
>We've had a burst of not so innovative branding later on.

I confess I use a lot of orange in my designs (most of the time combined
with gray shades or blue). I do a lot of design for web applications that
have specific needs and constraints and, in this case, I think it is
important to combine cold and warm colors to create respectively neutral and
impressive zones/elements on the page. I have two reasons for using this
kind of color combination: first, I believe that most oranges are perfect
for the screen (it is kind of easy to create good contrast and lisibility,
they're not too flashy, they create a positive, gay environment); and
second: the other warm colors like red, pure yellow, violet, rose, etc are
hard to use. Elements and zones in red (specially for web applications) can
be interpreted as negative info or be too flashy. Pure yellow/light yellow
gives poor content contrast and on the screen it can be very flashy and
stressing. Violet and rose are far too much "stigmatized" and can be used
only in specif situations.
Of course I speak here very superficially. We can do wonderful things using
red or even rose (ok, this one I don't like...). The choice of colors are
always dependent on the site's/client's identity and on the overall desired
look-and-feel. But it is true that when I think about a dynamic, positive,
contemporary look-and-feel for a site, I think right away about orange/gray,
orange/blue.

Cheers!
Angela

This is relevant to the discussion we had earlier this week about
systemnames. It is esp relevant for accessibility, insomuch as, e.g., if a
user with poor site adopts the 'high-contrast' background option in Windows,
it is highly likely that he/she will be delighted if that same scheme is
reflected in a web site. (which it would, if systemnames are used for
colours).

Just my (still intrigued by the potential of systemnames) 2p's worth.

Bob McClelland,
Cornwall (U.K.)
www.gwelanmor-internet.co.uk