john wrote:
I know it may be unnecessary, but I'd like to put a hover on them anyway. Try as I might to understand the CSS better, it's still
unclear to me how to properly put a hover on the thumbnails. I've
tried so many things that it's a jumble in my mind now...but it seems
like if I increase the border on the thumbs (for the hover), they all
shift their position. Other things I've tried seems to affect the
main photo itself. I really could use some tips on this so I can
finish it.

Didn't look too much into it, but a simple hover-effect can be created by adjusting both margins and border on hover.

1: by making the basic 3px margin into this:
margin-width: 2px 4px 4px 2px; on hover, you'll get a noticeable shift
of that particular image 1px up and 1px left, that doesn't affect the
position of any other image.

2: changing the color and/or width of the border in a similar way, on
all four sides, may also give the "right" effect.

Just count the total width and height of each image, with border and
margin (83px by 58px), and play around within that exact space.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no