Ted Drake wrote:

The most effective approach that I have seen so far is to put each line
in an ordered list, and applying styles to make it more readable. I'm
not sure if this would make it more usable.

Depending on what you're showing the code for, line numbers may be almost essential, or at least very useful; here's a sample I did a while back for someone to use as a model for a tutorial:

  <http://webtuitive.com/samples/code-as-list.html>

Of course, it doesn't do anything exciting in IE, since the example
uses ol:hover -- try it with Moz/Konqueror/Opera  :-)

FWIW!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                          dream.  code.