I keep seeing asterisks in the W3C spec but cannot see a glossary anywhere. As an example, with the img element in xhtml 1.1, the attributes 'src' and 'alt' are both marked with an asterisk. Why?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_imagemodule

(I realise img is marked to be deprecated in xhtml2, but I feel adoption for that will require new browsers to come out and gain market share, as the object tag has a huge set of problems)

Finally, is there a commentary somewhere about the use of longdesc vs alt vs title (e.g. on images, on images where they are the sole content of links, etc). There seems to be a bit of information here and there, and obviously I can use common sense, but was wondering if there was some high-calibre writing out there, spelling out the different browser support and an overall conclusion?

Siggy

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/