Thanks for all your feedback;

Steve Bryant: Cheers. The second approach is pretty code-heavy, so I would probably make the verbose style "onblur=checkvalidation('required=true,validation=numeric') and possibly run the onblur event on all forms at the submission, or something like that.

Gez; So you're under the opinion, if you're setting attributes, only for later retrieval (i.e. that the user agent is specifically being asked to ignore the attributes), that this is poor design?
(I'd not come across this idea before). Additionally, would you be of the opinion, even if we used a custom DTD, that we were not operating in the spirits of webstandards? (i.e. we were tricking the validator for approval?). This angle interests me.

Kornel: The alistapart article, we have seen--it however causes a raft of problems in the interim. One is that I do want to be able to produce xhtml 1.1 sites because some people need this (and one thing that I was asking, was if the fact it longer was the XHTML 1.1 doctype, would I run into people's apprehension-- see Bert Doorn's comment, for example)

. I use validation both as a means for marketing the quality of a website, and expect to have it so I can quickly check websites for mistakes (the htmlhelp one that can spider whole websites is great - i.e. www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.cgi?url=http://webstandardsgroup.org/index.cfm&warnings=yes&spider=yes).

I didn't get any feedback on extending XML via more namespaces? I have seen this on other sides, and my understanding was that this is an alternative way of adding attributes to elements?

<form ... >
<input niftyform:required=1 />
</form >

It seems one Vignette website I know (http://tvnz.co.nz/) uses this. (Beware, that site is horrid in FireFox for some reason. I'm sure the missing doctype and the hundreds of errors probably don't help?)

If I validate that document as XHTML 1.1, it tells me that there are additional namespaces, however it seems the manner in which they are included is not permitted, as you see from the top few errors:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftvnz.co.nz%2Fview%2Ftvnz_index_skin%2Ftvnz_index_group&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=XHTML+1.1&verbose=1

Or am I supposed to do something like this? Has anyone played with this sort of thing, or should I devote an afternoon to playing around and letting you all know how I get on?

<form xmlns="http://some.custom/one/thatsomehow/adds/niftyform/namespace >
<input niftyform:required="required" />
</form >

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/