Hi All

I'm doing a bit of research and looking for information on the issues surrounding an interface based on three independently scrolling, side by side, panes (divs, with overflow: auto probably).

Its part of a directory type search interface, where you choose (click a link) a category from the left pane, which displays relevant content in the centre pane which, when clicked, displays the required info in the right hand pane.

The main issue is that the graphic designer also working on the project wants to have each of these panes a fixed height and for them to scroll vertically. My feeling is that this simply hides information (the second and third pane are likely to include quite a bit of content) and it would be better off using the inbuilt page scrolling to display more information.

What I'd really appreciate is anything! Thoughts, references (especially references :-), experiences and examples.

Also examples of implementing this sort of layout in CSS would be great. My first thought was leaning towards the overflow property, but iframes spring to mind as well.

If you need any more info please let me know. And any help much appreciated.

Gareth