Hi,

I currently use php content negotiation and found the following article very informative and the script digestable:

(http://loadaveragezero.com/vnav/labs/PHP/DOCTYPE.php)

PS
Collin, Happy Birthday
On Friday, March 25, 2005, at 11:07  AM, Collin Davis wrote:

Carol,
For one thing, as Patrick put it so well:

[quote]
I was suggesting that simply saying "the W3C use it on their site" is not an
argument that holds too much weight.
[/quote]

Also, per the terminology defined by RFC 2119, none of the terms used for
specifying MIME types are anything more than recommendations. It's really
more of a best practices sort of question, as the XHTML Media types document
states:

[quote]
Authors who wish to support both XHTML and HTML user agents MAY utilize
content negotiation by serving HTML documents as 'text/html' and XHTML
documents as 'application/xhtml+xml'. Also note that it is not necessary for
XHTML documents served as 'application/xhtml+xml' to follow the HTML
Compatibility Guidelines.
[/quote]

That's the entire point I was making in my first response, when I said I
didn't understand why people send XHTML as text/html, when it's so very
simple to use content negotiation to serve HTML 4.01 as text/html to UAs
that can't handle XHTML sent as application/xhtml+xml (the proper way). I
don't know if you read the article I linked to by Ian Hickson, but he brings
across some very important points about serving XHTML as text/html.
Basically, what it boils down to for me, is a lack of understanding as to
why everybody who is jumping on the web standards bandwagon, with the desire
as I understand it, to "do things the right way" - overlook or ignore the
whole MIME type issue. I'll be the first to admit, when I first started
with the web standards way of doing web pages, I served my XHTML pages as
text/html, simply because I wasn't aware of the MIME type issue. Just seems
odd to me (and even as far as the W3C site goes - but hey... how can you say
what they're going to do next huh?) that the same people that tout web
standards as the way to go, because it's the right way to do things, seem
not to want to go all the way. (Also, I'll be the first to admit also that
not all of the pages on all of the sites I maintain are using content
negotiation - some are still XHTML being served as text/html). Always
remember also - HTML 4.01 is still a valid standard - albeit not the newest
one. Well, that's about the end of my little rant for now. Off for a four
day weekend and to celebrate my birthday - take care :)

Collin Davis
Web Architect
Stromberg Architectural Products
903.454.0904