G'day

http://cpanz.signify.co.nz/test/national-pod-template.html
I have an unordered list being used for navigation. The bottom item on the list needs to have a rounded corner. I figure:
Any ideas? I've spent way too long trying to figure this out, so no doubt have missed something basic!

Why not just make a background image for the last li instead of fiddling with spans, absolute and relative positioning etc?

ul#subnav li.last {
  background: #url(subnav-corner.gif) no-repeat right bottom;
}

If that (as I suspect) interferes with the links (corner disappears, particularly on hover), put a background image on

li.last a
...and...
li.last a:hover

Incidentally, you might ass more contrast - there's not enough of it, especially on hover, making the (tiny) link text very hard to read.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/