I think working with web standards is overhyped as 'selling point'. It
hardly has any selling points. For a developer it works faster (it does
for me) but most clients don't give a rats ass about what makes their site
work / look good. Very often they don't even care whether the site works
in anything else but MSIE 6. 'It would be nice if Firefox works but it's
not THAT important...' is what I often hear.

I don't even know many web companies in Holland (where I live) that have
strict use of web standards as a company policy. I myself do it because it
saves ME time. The use xml, it renders on any device story is nonsense
too. Hardly any site works well on mobile phones which are the most
important kind of devices.

Don't get me wrong, I love web standards. They just aren't a selling point
unless you happen to encounter a client with a geeky side.

Just my 5 cents...

Marco

--
Marco van Hylckama Vlieg - Senior Web Developer
http://www.i-marco.nl/

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Cook, Graham R wrote:

> I have never come across a designer who says "I'll throw the page
> together any way I can as a quick and dirty job". Mind you looking at
> some of the results from designers I'm sure that is what they have done.
>
> If you simply state that you "design using web standards as one of your
> fundamental building blocks because of their many benefits" you will
> come across as being professional.  If it also piques the client's
> interest to ask what the benefits are, then you can go on to explain the
> many many benefits. See if you can list over 10, for both the client and
> yourself.
>
> Graham Cook
>

> Standards Manager - Content Integrity
> Data & Online
> Telstra Technology
> 32/300 Latrobe St
> Melbourne VIC 3000
>
> Ph- (03) 9632 8035
> Fax - (03) 8600 9850
> Mob - (03) 0417 876 869
> Email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Find out more about Standards :
> http://telstra.com.au/standards/index.cfm
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message may be CONFIDENTIAL and
> may also be the subject of Legal Professional Privilege. If you are not
> the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or
> copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have
> received this message in error, please reply to this email to advise of
> the incorrect delivery and then delete both it and your reply. Thank
> you.

iFriends: De i-mode chat/dating community!
http://ifriends.i-questo.com/