Hi Dean. I'd hesitate to say anyone was right or wrong here, but I'm of the
same opinion, albeit with one small exception.  I think in UTF-8
NCRs/entities beyond the ASCII range can be useful for invisible characters
(such as LRM in Arabic/Hebrew) or ambiguous characters (such as non-breaking
space - which looks like an ordinary space).

Tee mentioned some issues with Chinese characters on IE Mac that I haven't
got to the bottom of yet, but I don't recall encountering any other problems
that could be solved by using escapes instead.

For a fuller version of my opinion see the slides starting at
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/en/all.html#Slid
e0440

RI