Peter Ottery wrote:
1) I'm curious if the use of an asterix to indicate a required field,
and the way I've done it, is ok accessibility-wise or if theres
anything else i could/should do...?

G'day Pete

I've recently undertaken the same work myself. I'm beginning to undertake a very OO approach to HTML and CSS. I'm creating quite a collection of code snippets. As such, I've recently addressed similar issues

My understanding is that some screenreaders simply identify an isolated asterix as a "grammatical entity". This will still work to a certain degree, but if there are any 'grammatical entities' in use on the page, or probably the site, it could cause confusion. It certainly doesn't indicate the kind of effect I had always assumed it did

I've changed to actually using the word "required". Near as I can tell, this is the only guaranteed way of achieving the appropriate effect

Perhaps Patrick, Russ or one of the other accessibility gurus can confirm or deny?

Cheers
Lachlan