> Does anyone know whether it's correct to use headings in your navigation?

I'd say it's not correct; although I'd counterpoint by saying that
nested lists imply the sort of structure I think you're trying to
define.

That is... the nested lists are "one level down" from the containing
LI.  So adding the headings is doubling up, semantically speaking.

Plus, headings should be attached to content; which they aren't in the list.

--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson