G'day

Actually, it isn't an <h3>, that  just applies to the title line. The list
is simply that - a list of <a ref>'s. I didn't see the point of making it
any more complex than it needed to be, and it all seemed to work OK.

But hey - I'm learning here, and asking for advice, so if there IS a good
reason why it should be a <ul> please do tell.

I can only think of two reasons:

1. Accessibility

   Look at the page with styles disabled and
   try to make sense of the links.  Does it
   still "work OK"?

2. Semantics

   By your own admission, it is "a list of
   <a ref>'s" list.  So why don't you use a
   list element?

I note you don't want to add complexity. Is an unordered list more complex than the code in the splash page (which is not valid HTML4.01 Transitional, let alone Strict as suggested by the DTD)?

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/