In regard to Ten questions for Joe Clark:
http://webstandardsgroup.org/features/joe-clark.cfm

This is an interesting article but in answer to question 9 Joe suggests scope
as being the most effective way to associate different-level headers and data
cells.
Unfortunately neither Window Eyes nor JAWS supports scope so we're back to
another situation where we either follow the standards and allow people to be
let down by their adaptive technology's lack of standards support or we come up
with another way to do things.
I think the best bet would be to use id and headers as in
http://www.cli.nsw.edu.au/optionkeys/guidelines/tables_2.htm

Grant Focas