Hello Sam,

Here are some thoughts I have on the topic...

============
Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

W3C Internationalization:
http://www.w3.org/International/

Publication blog:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/

By convention language (en) is lower case, and country (GB) is upper - but
it's only a convention, and actually the values are not case-sensitive. For
more information see http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/

> and also for the <meta
> http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-GB" />

I don't know of any user agents that use the language declarations in the
meta statement.  I suggest you use attributes on the html element for
declaring the text-processing language of a page, and consider using the
HTTP header for indicating primary language metadata.  For more details, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-lang/

are these
> attributes sensitive to casing? or should I just have en
>
> also is the charset iso-8859-1 OK for italian content?

As some others have suggested, why not use utf-8. It may solve problems at a
later date.

> I would also appreciate any links to web standard sites using
> multiple languages?

See examples of how we do it at
http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset and
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/serving-xhtml/

Note that we are dealing with the odd page here and there that has a
translated version.  For this we use content negotiation to try to serve the
person with the right page based on their browser's accept language
information, but we also include links on each page. This is useful for:
-       people who ended up on this page because they used someone else's
computer
-       people who are curious and need to get back to a language they
recognise
-       people who's browser settings indicate, say, Hungarian (for which
there is no translation), but would prefer to read a German version rather
than English in this case (when there are both possibilities).

See also Francois Yergeau's article at
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-when-lang-neg

hope that helps some
RI