> designer

> Surely, the fact that <pre> denotes 'preformatting' means that the
> formatting has occurred 'somewhere else' and not in the body
> of the html.
> So, in that sense, in what way is <pre>  'presentational' any
> more than all
> CSS is 'presentational?

Aeh...I'm not quite following your reasoning here. But to pick up
just on the last bit: CSS is *meant* for presentation, while HTML
should only mark up *content*. That's where I see the problem:
<pre> denotes how something looks, rather than what it is (which
is the whole idea of "semantic" markup).

> To take a simple example, if I set
> CSS rules in
> defining  <H1> characteristics, is using that <h1> tag in the
> html 'purely
> presentational' or is it different to <pre>?

You'd use <h1> only if the text you're marking up is an actual
heading (unless you use <h1> to mark up "oh, i want that text nice
and big", in which case you're abusing <h1> for presentational
purposes).

But to reiterate: <h1> has semantic connotations - the content it
marks up is a heading. <pre>, on the other hand, does not provide
any indication of what's inside, only how it's displayed.

> Sometimes, <pre> strikes me just like a css declaration,
> except that you
> don't have to declare what the formatting is in the header :-)

And that's a bad thing; we want separation of content and presentation.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk