Josh, I am also torn with this issue.

I ALWAYS escape characters with their decimal values, as Vlad
suggests, even if I am serving up UTF-8.

However, within code snippets (<code>), I don't make as much of an
effort - for whatever reason.

For instance, I always escape a dash (-) with &#8211;    --- when
using it in a normal sentence.

However, within code snippets, I leave the dash, as is - simply
because the dash has more meaning within code snippets (computer
talk), than is does in plain English.

For example, the code snippet of a MySQL date would be something like:
2005-06-05.

I think, in order to preserve the "code essence," I don't turn it
into: 2005&#8211;06&#8211;05.

I think the dashes are just as important as the numbers, in this case.

I could be WAY wrong - these are just my thoughts.

MATTHOM
matthom.com/