Hi Vaska, as the w3c links Anders provided, it can. However I will be very
skeptical to using it as obviously browsers are not advance enough to handle
it, but then it maybe the server issue too. Sorry, I am too ignorant on this
matter to tell  you anything more.

I did a test on Safari, FF, IE and Opera by entering domain in Chinese, only
FF picks up the address. Wonder how it works on PC browsers.
You may like to try:
Simplified Chinese sites:
A Chinese famous seach engine <baidu.com> = 百度
Or this <163.com> = 易网
Ebay China <ebay.com.cn> = 易趣

Traditional sites:
<tw.yahoo.com> = 奇摩
<yam.com> = 蕃薯藤

These are domains but the one Anders provided does have a path in Japanese
character, and it works in FF.
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-iri-3

tee