I don't think there's a really good answer to this question. It really
boils down to using what ever your comfortable with and will let you get
the job done.  Personally, I use plain text editors with syntax
highlighting and I hate Dreamweaver (i've used 2002), but others feel
differently and prefer drag-and-drop stuff. If you like Dreamweaver, but
you can't afford the money, you can always try Nvu
(http://www.nvu.com/), apparently it has fairly good standards support.