> Seriously: how many people enter data into a form and go so completely
> wrong that they want to erase everything they have just done and start
> over new?

Some users may want to do that; alternatively some users will change
their minds about submitting at all and do not trust simply closing
the page - they want to see the form blanked out.

Or if they've accidentally entered their postal address into street
address fields and vice versa...

> On the other hand, how many people *accidentally* press the reset
> button when they actually wanted to hit the submit button?

On some forms I've used CSS to make the Submit button much larger and
a different colour/border than the Reset button to lower the chances
of confusing the two... you can also add a JavaScript behaviour to get
a confirmation prompt (enhancing the interface and all that).

regarding just hitting refresh....

Many users won't think like that. Plus, if you're stepping through a
series of forms you might lose your session/variables and have to
start over. Or you might have a form inside a frameset, so hitting the
refresh button will reset the frameset and take you to the default
content, which might be some considerable number of clicks away from
where you were.

In the end I guess it's a question which draws heavily on context -
what kind of data is being entered? How are the users arriving at the
form? Is it a confidential survey which they might decide not to
submit after all?

Just my 2c :)

--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson