I tend to agree. Navigation should come first with a skip link to content, OR content before naviagation but with a skip link to navigation. The display:none technique is pretty much the norm now for this screen reader issue.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Erica Jean
Sent: Friday, 24 June 2005 10:48 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Page structure - navigation

Actually, the site I read said the link should read "Skip to the main content."

Whole thing.

Because otherwise (from what I understood) if it isnt' written out that way, the screen reader pronounces content wrong. It pronounces it like the verb... the dog was content.

And neither link would nessicarily have to show up on your finished page if you style them with display:none;. It would be there for the sole purpose of users with screen readers.

I would use:

Skip to the main content.
Skip to the navigation menu.