Personally, I believe this is one of the strong argumens for XHTML. PHP
is very sloppy, and when you combine that with another sloppy language,
HTML, the mess is tremendos. For small projects and new people it's not
much of an issue, but try to maintain a large codebase without it being
incredibly buggy.

Using XHTML forces you towards good practices, something that is good to
do from the begining before you develop those bad habits. I don't know
who was objecting to using XHTML, but IMHO it will interfere with you
learning of PHP less than HTML because it will force you to know what
your doing, which is the point of learning.

XHTML is a beautiful thing. I use it every day with my PHP applications.
I just can't wait till SVG gets some support.

Alan Trick