Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
Personally, I find this type of answer quite dangerous, as it leads to a slippery slope. Yes, the default rendering of browsers may be different when CSS is not available, but does that mean we then still have to stuff visual cues in HTML? The same rationale would warrant the use of font colours, sizes, etc, imho.

I know what you mean, Patrick, but I think of the rows, cols, etc as topological, rather than decorative. While text can be quite happily shown in monochrome with nothing but "native" styling it is not so easy to default the topology of the elements - how do you know, by default, how many characters should be visible to the user in a text field, for instance? So there is a distinction, which I think is sufficient, but there's a distinctly slippery slope near at hand!

Peter

--
Peter Asquith
http://www.wasabicube.com/