> Has anyone made a stylesheet that resets everything back to the way it
> would be if styling pure XML?

Here you go:

* {
  margin:0;
  padding:0;
  display:inline;
  font:1em serif;
}

To quote your CSS file:
"And I didn't reset everything to inline, because then it's hard to
tell what's what."
Yes, exactly like trying to style pure XML. If you really want to
teach your class separation of structure, get them to create their
structure in XSL. The ones that catch on will be in awe of the fact
that they can create a dynamic, XML backed site using only a bit of
file space and a browser. I'm having great difficulty envisioning the
learning outcome of a "Style XML with CSS" lesson having much in
common with a solid understanding of structure, as CSS can't add
structure, only visual formatting (ignoring the behavioural
pseudo-classes and generated content for the sake of this discussion
;).

That said, the only thing my lecturers taught me was "Click here to
add a table", so good on you for trying to give your students
something more! :)

Andrew.
http://leftjustified.net/