> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Yes, but if you have flash plug-in, you cannot see alternative image.
> So, the only reason is that when you don't have flash
> installed, browser
> shows you image with alternative description.

But what James is getting at is that from an accessibility and usability
point of view, you shouldn't simply put a "Sucks to be you...install Flash"
type image. Some users explicitly don't enabled flash because they can't
use it (e.g. some users of older screenreaders, or users with text-only
browsers, etc). If the flash is only visual fluff, fine...have a static
image there. But if your flash performs a function (for instance it's
the main site navigation, all done in flash - a bad idea in any case, as
search engines won't be able to follow those links...but I digress), try
and replicate the function (in the example above, a STBY type message will
be less than useful...instead, the alternate fallback should be a normal
set of links to the pages to act as navigation).

It all depends on what the flash is for, and if the information/service
it provides can be replicated in straight HTML.

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk