G'day

> I took out the table cell height and declared a height
for the #header area in the css. No dice.

Worked for me in Firefox, but I did not check other browsers

I would love to do it via <div>'s only, but for now would be happy if
I could make the light table work.  Any other ideas on that?

Sure, as your header only has an image, how about not putting it in a separate table cell? In other words, put it in the same cell as the content.

Or if the image has no semantic meaning, you cold even put it (via css) into that cell as a non repeating background, centered at the top of the cell and give the cell padding-top to taste.

#content {
  background: #fff url(/dev/images/headhome.jpg) center
top no-repeat;
  padding: 133px 0 0;
  vertical-align:top;
}

This setup is very easy to do with divs only. I don't have the time to do it for you, but have a look at the resources section of the webstandardsgroup website - there's plenty of resources there for two column css layouts.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/