Hi Fletcher

This is nothing unusual and points out the advantages of a liquid layout. If
your content is text, try setting your left and right divs with percentage
widths instead of px. For instance: maincontent=65%, navigation:30%.

If your wide content is a photograph, you will need to come up with a
different solution. Personally, I have hit this wall. I want to use images
that are large in my gallery, 500-550px and this does not leave much room
for a left nav.

The solution?

-Ignore 800X600 users
-Allow the user to collapse the leftnav
-Put the content first in the source code and let the nav drop to the bottom
of the screen
-?????

I like the liquid approach on www.simplebits.com . Try his stylesheet widget
to see how you can use more of the real-estate.

What other solutions are out there?

Ted