Bruce schrieb:
I guess I cannot communicate what I mean.
... I was wondering if an image would stretch as a background image in the
stylesheet as a background. That's all.
Ingo did a demo as a background image of a h1 tag. I thought that would
work.
Using the EXACT   same code that he used,  in the stylesheet for the banner
it does not work. I have no idea why not.

Because my image is 2048px wide.

You can't stretch bg-images in CSS. It's not that we didn't understand what you want to accomplish, but it's just not possible. We are trying to find a workaround, not a solution.

Follow Vicki's attempt and put a gradient on both sides of the bg-image, than position it 50% 100% in the horizontal mid.

Or put the gradient just to the right, as Roger does:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200504/fixed_or_fluid_width_elastic/

There is a maroon gradient to the right, and the container has the same background-color. Check in Firefox with cntr++, and view the bg-image.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html