Oh, I completely agree. I guess we can say that dropdowns can improve the
usability of a website for a certain group of people. As a general question
though (independent to any kinds of impairment): are dropdowns especially
useful for people that are more visual? If we think about it, dropdowns are
very much a different form of sitemap. And one of the main reasons we create
sitemaps is to provide a visual presentation of the Information
Architecture.

Something that would be a very interesting test: put a group of designers
onto a website and a group of engineers. What navigation items do each of
them use? Will the designers go for the dropdown menus and sitemap, while
the engineers go for the search engine or standard navigation? :)