On 9 Aug 2005, at 11:19 am, Wayne Godfrey wrote:

Wouldn't IE for Mac also be influenced by the hacks below?

body.index #main {
        margin-left: 250px;
        _margin-left: 245px;   /* IE hack */
        margin-right: 15px;
        _margin-right: 10px;   /* IE hack */
        background-color: transparent;
}

IE 5.0 Mac does indeed read the underscore hack in some cases. Later releases (5.1, 5.2) ignore it.

The testing I've done on IE Mac seems to be holding most everything properly, other than a couple of floats adding space below, which I expected. Does this make the consensus to use David's method: a separate style sheet for IE? IE confuses the ever-living out of me!

It *is* confusing.
But, yes, a separate stylesheet, loaded via conditional comments is the most future proof method. Most known IE hacks have been well tested by know for IE 6 and older. Nobody knows yet what the final release of IE 7 will do.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/>