Floating the link left as well as display:block should make the image sit at the end of the text, as opposed to spaning the width of the page. This can cause problems in a few older browsers such as Netscape 6, as once you float something left it is no longer a block element.

Hope that makes sense.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 5:32 PM
Subject: [WSG] I'm on a question roll.... background images on links

We are using a background image on links to signify they are external. The
image sits on the right side of the link using background: url() 100% 0;

All is fine in firefox, but in IE the icon overlaps or sits at the top when
the text wraps to a second line.  Is there a way to make the background
image follow the text inside a link rather than looking at the link as a
block?

I've tried display: inline-block and that made the spacing better, but
didn't fix the issue.

Here's an example

Good link:

| Google Virtual |
| World (icon)   |

Bad link:
| Google Virtua(icon) | The icon sits at the top and doesn't
| World               | flow with the text

Has anyone found a way to fix this? I don't want to go back to inline images
and our standard is to have the icon on the right and not the left.
Otherwise, I would have placed it on the left and it would have been a
cake-walk.

P.S. sorry about an earlier html formatted email, I try to send them in
plain text.

Thanks

Ted Drake
www.tdrake.net