From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ben Curtis
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 7:19 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Win IE hacks -- Please help!

On Aug 16, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Janelle Clemens wrote:

> My recent headache is trying to create a column/row of cells, like
> what tables used to be used for, but with the display properties
> table, table-row, table-column, table-cell.

Use a table.

Tables are valid HTML. You style them with CSS. When you have tabular data,
using anything else is unsemantic and wrong. If you have rows and columns,
then you have tabular data. Use a table.

The table tag is not banned for use in XHTML+CSS sites. Using tables to lay
your page out is a bad idea, but anything other than tables for tabular data
is a worse idea. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Oh, and regarding hacks for IE: remember that IE7 is coming out very soon,
and anything that relies on a parsing bug may behave unpredictably. Using "*
html" will likely mean that you will apply your hack to IE7 before you even
see how it does without the hack.
Your best (only?) bet is the conditional comment option.

Remember: "Only hack the dead."

--

     Ben Curtis : webwright
     bivia : a personal web studio