On Aug 17, 2005, at 4:39 AM, Julie Romanowski wrote:

On Aug 16, 2005, at 9:07 PM, Ben Curtis wrote:
That's a very curious thing for the W3C to publish. I am not aware of any HTML standard in which b and i are deprecated. Can anyone cite such a declaration?
Please look at the date of each document. The document listing the items
as deprecated is the most recent.

HTML 4.01 Specification http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ cover.html#minitoc
W3C Recommendation 24 December 1999

XHTML(tm) 1.0 The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (Second Edition)
A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#defs
W3C Recommendation 26 January 2000, revised 1 August 2002

Modularization of XHTML(tm)
W3C Recommendation 10 April 2001
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/

XHTML(tm) 1.1 - Module-based XHTML
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/Overview.html#toc
W3C Recommendation 31 May 2001

HTML Techniques for WCAG 2.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/
W3C Working Draft 30 June 2005 (includes the information regarding
deprecated <b> and <i> tags)

Looking solely at the dates would lead people to believe that we should currently be coding to XHTML2 specs, since that was most recently updated, but that would be wrong. Dates are useful in finding what spec is the most recent, but a spec is only a standard once it reaches "recommendation" status. The HTML Techniques spec you cite is a Working Draft, and they state in the prologue:

    "Publication as a Working Draft does not imply endorsement
    by the W3C Membership. This is a draft document and may be
    updated, replaced or obsoleted by other documents at any
    time. It is inappropriate to cite this document as other
    than work in progress."

It's not a standard yet. It's important to recognize that standards that are developed publicly will present a number of documents from official sources that are not, in themselves, definitive. It's important to cite the documents that are definitive, and only in the manner that they claim to be definitive. For example, had the HTML Techniques been a Recommendation, it would still be inappropriate to cite this entry as a declaration of the deprecation of the b and i elements (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#em ). It's inappropriate because the document is not intended to define the state of elements, but only the techniques for using them.

"If the W3C misspoke..." Do you really believe that the W3C "misspoke"
because they have a working draft with change/updates to the current
HTML/XHTML recommendations?

Nothing can change or update a standard; only a new standard may be adopted. The portion you quoted stated that b and i as elements were deprecated in the HTML 4.01 and XHTML Recommendations. I have yet to find anything that would indicate that this is true. Thus, the W3C misspoke.

Now, that all said, I think that we're on pretty much the same side on this issue. Edward also points out: