-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Geoff Deering
Sent: Wednesday, 24 August 2005 5:02 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Accessibility, the possibilities

Stuart Sherwood wrote:

> Are any of the validation tools: Bobby, Cynthiasays, Watchfire...more
> respected then the others?
>
> Regards,
> Stuart.

You can use any of these, and all of them, but you should combine them
with your own knowledge base and common sense.  I also use Marc Gueury's
HTML Validator(http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/).  There's no
tool that I trust explicitly, but if you arm yourself with some basic
knowledge, then even if a tool has it's short falls or faults, and you
are aware of them, you can still use what it renders correctly to assist
you.

Tabindex:  one piece of advice, if you code tabindex, don't use
intervals of 1, use something like 10, 20 or even 50;

tabindex="10"
tabindex="20"
tabindex="50"
whatever.

If you have to go back and change the order or add items, it's a pain in
the arse if you have to change every tabindex in the document.  Tabs
will naturally flow to the next highest value, it doesn't matter if the
interval is 10 or 100, whatever, this allows you to insert other items
later on, without having to edit the rest of the document.

What I usually do is break the document down into sections, and within
the section increase at intervals of 10, but when I go to a new section,
jump either one hundred or even a few hundred, even a thousand.  Gives
breathing space... phew.

But in general, if the document is well structure, and still reflects
that structure when styles are turn off, the tab flow is often the same
with or without coding tabindex.  If that is the case, why bother coding
tabindex (I realise there are exceptions like using an initial tab to
set the focus/skip navigation)?

Geoff