Since the questioner specifically asked for online resources I held off a response. But what the heck!

I bought O'Reilly's HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide and love it. I go back to it any time I have a question, and can read it anywhere, not just in front of my monitor. And in their introduction, the authors say they wrote it for beginners as well as advanced users. Works for me.

Best regards,

Marilyn Langfeld
Langfeldesigns
http://www.langfeldesigns.com