G'day again :-)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20050630/#layouttables
unless of course you would argue the difference between "should not" and "not allowed", in which case I guess you would win.

It's a working draft, not a recommendation or a standard and you're right. I used to work as a QA Auditor (ISO9001). In standards parlance, "should not" has a different meaning than "must not" or "shall not". Still, if you want to use that document.... "*Generally*, display technologies such as [CSS2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20050630/#CSS2> can achieve the desired layout effect with improved accessibility." Generally? Meaning there are exceptions?

"However, *when it is necessary to use a table for layout*, the table must linearize in a readable order." So there are times "when it is *necessary* to use a table for layout"? Keep reading... http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS-20050630/#layouttables-avoid

"It is *recommended* that authors not use the |table| element for layout purposes *unless the desired effect absolutely cannot be achieved using CSS*."

I rest my case.
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/