On Sep 8, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Rimantas Liubertas wrote:

     Eschewing markup that is not needed today is equivalent to
     adding presentational decisions to the markup for tomorrow.

Only if tomorrow we won't have browsers with advanced CSS support (talk
multiple backgrounds).

I think my point was missed. Treating tags as hooks on which to hang your design implies that if you want hooks for all possible designs (e.g., you are separating presentation from your markup), then you need to add a lot of hooks that are not needed for *this* design.

For example, CSS3 has a means to move content from one area to another -- not positioning, in layout terms, nor moved in the DOM tree, but moved in the document flow. For example you can duplicate all the headings in your document (h1:before { content:contents; }), and place the duplicates up front in a table of contents that the rest of the document recognizes as being in the flow. Or footnotes can be inline, right next to the content they refer to, but then placed last in the document, one after the other, with self-numbering precursors like an ordered list.

But how can you use this future technique of CSS to present your existing document differently if you didn't put in some empty (and currently worthless) hooks in the first place? Therefore, by *not* putting those hooks in, are you essentially making presentation decisions?

Even though I'd like to see if someone picks this idea up and can help argue the for/against, because I think it's a worthwhile discussion, I don't think that reality will play nicely with the idealized end result of this line of thinking. I think it's far more likely that people will continue to adopt XML-compatible XHTML-like documents, which then they can convert in the future via XSLT to have the markup-based hooks needed for future presentational concerns. In essence, I think I believe that separating presentation from markup is ultimately unachievable in the purest sense of totality, but the consequence of striving to achieve it is a Good Thing(tm).

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright
    bivia : a personal web studio