Actually, Tatham was kind of right in a way. It is possible to get
ASP.NET to give you compliant code. However, compliance and web
standards are *not* the same thing. Compliance is only part of web
standards (and one of the smallest IMHO).

Take for example the Internet explorer blog on msdn.com
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/>. The search form on the could be completely
valid markup (it's actually not because the id names start with an
underscore, but it could be). However, the code there is emphatically
*not* standard. Essentially they are trying to make a link to something
that a sumit input or button element should be doing. To cover up this
unholy substitution, they use a bunch of javascript. Of course the form
is completely broken to users without javascript.

Alan Trick