Thanks for the comments, Georg, Wybe.  I've made some corrections to
it: notably shifting to percentages and ems for font-sizes; changing
to onfocus for the search form.

I do have one question that just came up while I was chatting with a
friend:  "Does the hreflang attribute on links do anything, really, or
is it just a cosmetic thing that no browser does anything with?"  (I'm
using it on links to materials in Mandarin/Malay to indicate that the
content of those sites/pages is in a language other than English.)

I think I'll ignore IE Mac for the time being, it seems to be a
negligible proportion of my readers anyway.  I was mostly worried
about how it would render in Safari.

Nolan Winthrop
http://www.47words.com/