Paul Bennett wrote:
<dl id="testimonial">
<dt>Joe Coyle, President, www.coylemedical.com</dt>
<dd>Mr. Cisneros and his team have an extraordinary talent for customer
communication, market vision, and web pageb design.</dd>
<dl>

There seems to be a tendency lately to use definition lists for way more
than I think they're supposed to be used for.

I've found a couple of descriptions of what a definition list is supposed to be:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html#h-10.3>

"Definition lists vary only slightly from other types of lists in that list items consist of two parts: a term and a description. The term is given by the DT element and is restricted to inline content. The description is given with a DD element that contains block-level content."

and

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html>

Definition lists, created using the DL element, generally consist of a series of term/definition pairs (although definition lists may have other applications). Thus, when advertising a product, one might use a definition list:

I think the some of the confusion stems from the naming and the description of the list type and the list items.

In the first example the spec states:

"list items consist of two parts: a term and a description"

In the second:

"(list items) generally consist of a series of term/definition pairs"

The second description continues with:

"although definition lists may have other applications"

What are these "other" applications? The spec doesn't specifically state, but it does offer the following as an examples:

"Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues, with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words."

and

"when advertising a product, one might use a definition list"

That is a vague and somewhat conflicting guide. The list type is dubbed "definition", but at almost every turn, the specification leans more toward the idea of "description". Defining a term and describing a term are completely separate concepts at the core, but the lines do blur a bit. If definition lists would have been called "description lists", having the exact same specifications, we wouldn't be having this debate and the world would be a happy place.

In the above example, is this (semantically) equivalent to saying
that  the definition of 'Joe Coyle, President, www....'

In the example I gave, I was following the speaker-dialog path--describing what the speaker said. The content is obviously more accurately described as a quote than a dialog, but that can easily be worked into the <dd> to add even more semantic meaning.

The bottom line is that we have to work with what we have been given, which is not allot, so do the best you can.

--
Best regards,
M. Wilson