Drake, Ted C. wrote:

Here’s the deal. I have a main navigation css. I’d like to create an alternate template and instead of replacing the nav.css with a new flavored nav.css, I’d like to put my color rules in a theme css file.

Since I've only glanced at the solutions referred to in some of the other post, I might be wrong, but it seems that they all break the caching aspect of CSS as well as requiring the re-parsing of the style sheet each time. There is no need for this to happen.

For starters, have mod_rewrite redirect all CSS requests to the template engine and have the desired "style sheet" as a query string. The style sheet template and values to be inserted can be stored either as files, in a database, or a combination. The engine pulls the time stamp from the template and the values, compares them to the time stamp in the HTTP headers, sets the outgoing headers to reflect if it's sending a style sheet or not, and finally, parses the template only if needed.

This technique can be extended (and possibly abused) to take advantage of other header, cookie, or session info.

Another option is store frequently accessed style sheets on the server pre-parsed.