Hi Mike,

Seems that making user's aware of what 'zoom', 'single column', 'high/low contrast', 'low graphics' or any of the other alternatives is another issue like that of educating new users about browser 'Text size' options.

From personal experience, when first stumbling upon issues of web standards / accessibility etc. links like 'XHTML' and 'CSS' (as links to online validation services) and the 'AAA' ratings for accessibility were less than clear. Although it would be great to think otherwise, *task-focused* users rarely follow a link or click a button 'out of curiosity'.

Perhaps 'Zoom' has been borrowed from the Microsoft Word interface for magnifying the page. Further to this, 'What do I know' [1] uses common wysiwyg interface convention to signal that page layout can be customised. From a graphical perspective the issue is indicating the change that will be affected by choosing a layout 'option'. Using 'What do I know' as an example, the various-sized 'T's are an effective illustration of what their activation will achieve: an increase or decrease in type size. Perhaps an icon that indication of a single column (maybe with an obviously enlarged 'T')?

The irony is that icon-i-fying the Zoom display preference is likely to make it smaller, and assuming the feature is to cater to people with visual impairment, the option may well be overlooked.

A companion issue is the consideration of user expectations: that websites are often perceived as more akin to a printed page than an application. As such (at least in the usability tests we've conducted) the user's expectation is that the page is 'the way it should be' and the concept of customising layout or display is still alien/novel.

The point raised by Patrick is also interesting, namely that we should recognise that the user experience is not solely the domain of web authors. While (admittedly with the best of intentions), we attempt to build layout controls into content, there are dedicated programs developed to improve the browsing experience for users with specific accessibility requirements.