James Bennett wrote:
> On 10/3/05, Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Most Linux systems have neither Verdana
>>nor Arial installed, at least not by default.
>

> True, but these days nearly every Linux distribution ships the free
> Bitstream Vera font set, which includes a sans-serif with metrics
> similar to Verdana. Also, the "core web fonts" are typically available
> as an easily-installed package for most distributions, which will
> provide Verdana and other fonts. I've found that the following works
> well for providing compatibility to Linux users (and as a full-time
> Linux user for a number of years, I can personally attest to its
> effectiveness):
>
> Verdana, "Bitstream Vera Sans", "Lucida Sans", sans-serif

I would assume that the most linux users either 1) have 'core web fonts'
installed or 2) don't mind having web pages that look really weird.
Browsing the web without that package will get you lots of issues all
over the place (even with it I stumble across websites every once in a
while with unreadibly small font-sizes.

That said, I have Verdana on my Linux box (and it looks way better than
Poley's windows(?) version does).

The other important thing to note is that the vast majority of users
either can't scale fonts because they're using a broken
<cough>IE</cough> browser or because the don't know how (or even that it
was an option). It's very important to have readable defaults.