If I understand you correctly, you want <pre> with word-wrap?

<pre> should only be used when the text you want to display is infact
preformatted, such as indented code. Applying word-wrap to such text
would be by definition to format it (and thus render in
un-preformatted (sic)).

If the text from the database is not actually preformatted beyond
linebreaks, why don't you do a search and replace on the text from the
database to format it properly. e.g. text_in_page = '<p>' +

...or use '<br />' if a new paragraph is improper.

Jachin Sheehy